Sunday, October 2, 2016

Can You Go Back?



Recently I had dinner with an old friend. Instead catching up I found my mind wondering. As he got sloppy drunk and buttered too many rolls and talked so much about all the stuff he owned. It made me think; how did I ever stand this person years ago?

Before this dinner I thought of my old friend often, and not that he was perfect or I was a perfect person, but I yearned for his friendship again. My new friends we’re not the same as him; we didn’t laugh as much as I did with him; they didn’t understand me as much as he did, blah-blah. All these things I kept in my mind, making our old friendship seem better as time went on. The reality was he was still the same; but I changed, I grew up.

Can Lindsay Lohan go back to being a fresh faced talent like she was in “Mean Girls”? Can O.J Simpson ever go back to being a football player and shitty actor, instead of a murderer and thug? Will Bethany Frankel’s voice ever go back to being non-irritating?

Life can be strange; the person who was your best friend for years can slowly turn into your enemy in the manner of days. Sometimes I find myself wishing things we’re the way they we’re, before life and responsibility changed it, but then I think how great things are for me now, and I’m blessed to be alive and healthy. There are so many things I want out of life, but the reality is I’m really happy with what I have and I don't want to be around anybody who is a big asshole.

So can you go back? Not usually, so it’s good to keep going forward. If you don’t learn and grow and move on, you can never get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment